For the last three weeks, first-year Television & Video Production students have been on-location with the BCIT trades and technology departments practising their camera skills. We would like to thank students and staff in the following areas for helping support our program:
- Sheet Metal
- Technology Teacher Training – Electronics
- Steel Fabrication
- Medical Laboratory
- Piping Trades
- Power Engineering – Steam Lab
- Electrical Trades
- Medical Radiography
Our first-year Television & Video Production students have been studying the basics of camera operation, composition, and sequencing since the beginning of September, and we’ve turned them loose on the BCIT Burnaby campus to see what they can do!
The students are visiting the trades and technical areas at BCIT to bring short stories back, which are then being edited (and we’ll hopefully have a few to post online soon as well).
- Practising camera skills including operating the camera itself and composing shots properly and getting clean audio
- We bring back the raw footage and screen it all with the class to identify problem areas and look for solutions
- After critiquing the footage, everything is loaded onto our server so students can practise editing what they shot. This helps to identify any missed opportunities and better-prepare them for the next time out the door.
- At the beginning of class next week, we’re going to look at the edited footage so we can see the entire process from production right through to delivery